You will most likely arrive in the late evening so all you’ll want is a cold beer, a warm shower and a good night’s sleep.
After a leisurely breakfast, take a short stroll to take in the beautiful site of Sanur beach. White sand, palm trees, jukungs (traditional boats), surfers, and strollers. The early risers might get to see the sunrise with the Volcanoes peeking through the distance.
Sanur beach is ideal for little ones, a long coral reef protects the beach from the crashing waves, found on other beaches on the Island.
Rent a sun lounger with umbrella and enjoy a hydrating young coconut or fresh juice, start that new book and breathe.
You’ll meet some of the traders who will introduce themselves and ask you to visit their shop or have a massage. Don’t say “later” if you don’t mean it as they won’t forget you! If you mean “no” just say “no” it’s easier and won’t offend.
A great way to see the beach is to rent a bicycle, cruise along the 10km stretch of boardwalk. They cost $2.50 for the day.
Other transport options are the little green bemo’s (van’s) that run up and down the main street. Flag one down, squeeze in and shout stop when you reach your destination. A journey is 50 cents per person.
Air-conditioned taxi’s start at $2.50 per trip.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner on the beach, the options are numerous, with Indonesian, seafood and international dishes. My oceanfront favourites are Lila Pantai, Bamboo, Sand and Lutu’s.
Sanur is known as the sleepier side of the Island but it’s great for trying out lots of new experiences
- Fun dive with Nico Dives Cool in Sanur bay or by boat trip to Nusa Penida Island to see the manta rays.
- Surf lesson or Stand up Paddle surf with RIP Curl – all year round
- Kite surfing lessons with RIP Curl (May to September)
- Check out the famous kite festival August and September
- Visit the Sanur Festival in August
- A ride in a glass bottom boat to see the tropical fish and coral, jump in and snorkel with them
- Sailing with East Bali Surf and Sail.
- Take a ride in a Jukung – a traditional sailing boat
- Yoga at Power of Now Oasis in a beachfront bamboo studio, a choice of morning and afternoon classes.
- Rent a Jetski
- Try Parasailing
- Fishing by boat or from the beach
- Photograph the sunrise
- Massage or reflexology on the beach or at one of the many spas or in the privacy of your Villa.
- Cooking class with chef Mudana, visit the market and cook your lunch
- Play mixed doubles tennis
- Have a new tattoo
- Camel rides at Mertasari beach
- Seawalker, perfect for those who don’t want to dive but want to enjoy the tropical fish.
- Cycling tour of Sanur village
- Have a leather handbag or jacket made
- Browse the many shops
- Join a beach clean up with trash hero
- Play 9 holes at Bali Beach golf course
- Visit the local morning market
- Visit the Sindhu market in the evening for a cheap meal
- Watch a Balinese dance performance
- Happy hour cocktails at the Maya Hotel beachfront bar.
- Indonesian Sunday morning brunch and market at Café Batujimbar
- Catch a band, a different one, every night at Casablanca
- Take a day trip by boat to Nusa Lembongan to snorkel
Once you’ve exhausted yourself with all these activities you’ll want to have a great meal. There are so many to choose from, French, Italian, Japanese, Australian, Indonesian, Indian. Not too expensive, you’ll be pleased when you see the bill. You’ll find a list of our current favourites in your Villa.
When you are ready to sample Sanur check out Cool Bali Villas to find your ideal accommodation.